As your eyes and your bellies now know, fruit season is back again! We’d like to continue the work that we started last fall in gathering unwanted fruit from neighborhood trees and donating it to local food banks. We gathered several hundred pounds last year as part of the larger city effort that gathered about 18,000 pounds! Here’s how you can help:
- If you have fruit you won’t be using, let me know and when it will be ripe.
- If you know a neighbor who has a tree that they might be willing to donate from, go ask them and then let me know.
- If you’d like to join in on a picking session one weekday evening or weekend day in the next few months – you guessed it – let me know!
You can reach me by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (206-388-2781).
Here’s what I’ll do:
- Put together a list of trees that need to be picked.
- When one or more trees is ready to be picked I’ll send out a call to everyone that has said they’d be willing to pick to show up at a certain time and place if they’re able.
- Make sure we’ve got the tools and supplies we need to pick, package, and deliver everything to the food bank.
Sounds to easy to be true – it is!! Food banks will always tell you that fresh fruits and veggies are what the area’s hungry rarely get. We can help. Come join in if you can.
No Comments »